As a manager in the security industry, you’re tasked with equipping your staff with the skills and knowledge they need to act as effective security guards. Whether it’s for industrial facilities, events or individual clients, your team should be trained on safety and operational procedures and critical methods for de-escalating conflicts and ensuring their safety. This blog will highlight some essential training tips for all security guards to stay safe and protect their employer’s and clients’ interests.
Importance of security guards’ role
Security guards play an invaluable role in keeping the public and property safe. Employing them provides a tangible layer of protection, both visible and behind the scenes. It’s crucial to empower these workers to not only protect themselves from physical injury when issues arise but also create a sense of comfort and ease for those they are employed to protect. Professional training must ensure that guards can handle potentially volatile situations, stay alert and execute the necessary protocols with proper standard operating procedures in place. To keep our communities strong and safe, we need individuals committed to upholding the public’s safety. Physical security guards provide this service in a very real way, and their presence should be appreciated.
Essential types of training for security guards
- Basic security guard training should cover a variety of topics, including emergency procedures, first aid, report writing and customer service.
- Security guards should also receive training on specific security risks and how to handle them best. For example, if a security guard is working at a bank, they should receive training on how to handle a robbery.
- In addition to general security training, physical security guards should also receive training specific to their employer. For example, a security guard working for a retail store should receive training on loss prevention, shoplifting procedures, and relations and Acts.
- Security guards should be required to complete regular refresher courses to stay up-to-date on new procedures and technologies.
- Employers should provide security guards with the opportunity to attend conferences and seminars related to security management.
Benefits of providing training to security guards
Physical security guards play a critical role in helping protect people, property and confidential information. They lean on their training to help them stay focused and perform their duties well. That’s why ongoing training is essential. One clear benefit of implementing such training is developing awareness: security personnel can learn and practice safe responses to common incidents they may face on the job. Furthermore, training allows employees to become more familiar with advanced security technologies, such as access control systems, surveillance equipment and alarm systems. Training also ensures that employees remain up-to-date on relevant legal knowledge to better protect themselves from liability in high-pressure situations. Finally, guards benefit from improved confidence when responding quickly and accurately during an emergency – an essential skill for security personnel. The importance of training for a physical security guard cannot be overstated!
Give your security guards the proper training with Cerely.
The security industry is complex, and there is a high demand for effective, streamlined workforce management software. Cerely is the only business & workforce management software you’ll ever need. With this software, you can stay connected with the clients, monitor training records, do your rostering, process payroll, send invoices, and store important client information in one software.
If you would like to learn more about Cerely, please get in touch with us today.